His strips also indicated the junctions of cross-routes but the only topographical features are villages & important houses. Llanelly & Hafod (Swansea) Copperworks schools, the Rhymney, Dowlais & Neath Abbey Ironworks schools etc.Three editions of the work, one entitled "Itinerarium Angliae" as a variant from the standard & first edition, "Britannia" appeared in 1675. Sometimes a school in a mining community was maintained partly by fixed annual donations from colliery owners or companies.
The skeleton was found to be one of large size, strongly flexed, and lying on the left side, with head to the north (see fig.3). Those preserved have been indentified by my colleague, Mr J. The flint was found behind the pelvis of the skeleton (at the point A in fig.3) but its position, near the surface of the soil filling the grave, makes it practically certain that the implement was not in direct association wit the skeleton. A flint "knife" of somewhat similar type is said to have been found with a Beaker burial in Riley's Tumulus, on Merthyr Mawr Warren (Arch.The bones, though sodden, were mostly well preserved, although the more spongy parts had largely decayed and the upper portions had been damaged when the grave was first discovered. It may have been lost in the course of building the grave, entering later with the soil. Camb., 1919, p345)) - the present example may have been intended for use either as knife or scraper. Fleure & Mr Sansbury (see Appendix below) has shown the skeleton to be that of an adult male in middle life & revealed features which suggest that the skull was "at least sub-brachycephalic," and that the individual may therefore have been of Beaker type.The rock to the left of the hollow rose abruptly to present a more or less vertical face some 3ft 6in in height, a little short of the highest point of the mound as it then existed and from this face the mound appeared to fade gradually away into the rough surrounding ground. S., for the identification of the materials), was roughly rectangular in section, with a maximum length of 4ft 6in., a maximum width of 3ft and a maximum thickness of 8in.The hollow in the rock was lined with blocks of limestone of various sizes to enclose an area roughly 4ft by 2ft 7in. Over the capstone had been piled up, without arrangement or method, a heap of stones of various sizes; but it was noticed that these stones did not extend downwards over the sides of the capstone into the hollow which contained the grave. The disturbance of one of the forearm bones of the right arm, which rested on the spinal column, clearly showed that the earth contained in the grave had entered after the decay of the body.In addition to authorities given, the comparison of the Norman names in Cal. preserved in France (Rolls Series) & Fabricius' Danske Minder i Norman-diet. For the most part above 300 feet contour-line, it forms part of an elevated limestone region which is defined on the north & east by the Rivers Kenfig and Ogmore and which to the south & west drops gradually to the sandhills of Merthyr Mawr, Newton and Kenfig.
The OS 6 inch sheet (Glamorgan XL) records "human remains" as having been found on Stormy Down in 1870, near the southern limit of the so called "Danish Camp" but nothing appears to be known of these remains.
We give them in the order of induction as follows: A snippet of information on maps of Glamorgan - the following is from the Glamorgan section of Ogilby's strip-map "The Road from London to St David's" first published in 1675. In South Wales during the 19th century the rapid development of heavy industries & coal mining created centres of dense populations where voluntary efforts to provide education in many areas proved inadequate & ineffective.
Place names & notable buildings can be seen on this section from Aberavon to Cowbridge (A48). The characteristic feature of the industrial evolution of South Wales during the first half of the 19th century was the growth & expansion of the ferrous and non-ferrous metallurgical industries.
The main workings of the quarry had been flooded by the heavy rains and in the course of working a new face at a high level further to the east, a large slab of stone was met with, from beneath which a skull was dislodged & broken up before the character of the find was realised.
The surface at this spot was practically level and a slight hollow had been made, in which the grave had been built.
The teeth suggest an adult in middle life, and show much evidence of hard wear.