The A180 and Stallingborough-Habrough section of the mainline railway west out of Grimsby (Great Grimsby and Sheffield Junction Railway) pass roughly east–west through the southern part of the parish. Excluding farms there are no other places of habitation outside the town in the civil parish.
A popular protest secured the release of the women, who were then able to rejoin their families, and continue the journey.
In the later medieval period Immingham decline, reduced from 66 households in 1523 to 46 in 1723, in common with other Lincolnshire places on or near the Humber banks.
By 1981 the population had risen to 11,506; making it North Lincolnshire's fourth town, after Grimsby, Cleethorpes and Scunthorpe.
Standard housing also expanded: By 1968 there were many new side streets, in particular a new estate encompassed by Pilgrim Avenue; development along Pelham Road had become almost continuous, and the new village now expanding north-west towards the old Immingham.
[Up to 1834] [After 1834] [Staff] [Inmates] [Records] [Bibliography] [Links] A parish workhouse once operated at Binfield, off Rose Hill. The above stone was in front of the old houses pulled down in 1826 while these were erected by the Marquis of Downshire in their stead.
Its location, as the "old workhouse", is shown on the 1881 map below. A local story has it that the clock-tower on top of the houses was donated by a local dignitary.The civil parish is low lying, extending from below 5 metres (16 ft) above sea level near the Humber foreshore, to a peak of 21 metres (69 ft) in Roxton wood in the south-west corner.The main features within the parish are the Humber shoreline, running roughly north-west to south-east, the Immingham Dock and estate, and adjacent south of the dock the town of Immingham.The docks were connected to their primary supply of labour in Grimsby by the Grimsby & Immingham Electric Railway, opened 1912.As part of the development of the new port some wood framed, corrugated iron clad housing was constructed; several of these survived to the 21st century, and one of these dated 1907 is now a listed structure.Immingham is a town, civil parish and ward in the North East Lincolnshire unitary authority of England.